Monday 21 May 2012

How's the training going?

Hi Guys,
Sorry I haven't blogged lately. I'm not the most prolific blogger but I thought I'd better update people on the training. Especially, as it's just under a month till I do my BIG ride:
"AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

So, "how is the training going?" I hear you ask.

It's not going too bad considering the weather has not been very kind the last month or so. We've had the wettest April ever, and I quote:

UK Weather: April Officially Wettest Since Records Began, Say Met Office

I know that if it rains on the day I'm going to have to ride it in, however, knowing that I don't have to during training normally means I don't. I have on occaisions gone out when it's looking overcast and got caught in small showers but generally I try and miss the rain.

Mileage wise, according to my log http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/diary I have done 210 miles in the 18 days........I just need to reduce it by 15 days and add 35miles, and it'll be fine.

I have tried to start doing consecutive days on the bike but it's not that easy when you've got work, husband, and other commitments plus the weather not play ball. I managed to do a 60 mile ride one Saturday and then got up early on the Sunday morning and did a 14-15mile ride. I must say it felt like I'd sat on a concrete slab that morning.Once I got going I felt ok.

Following on from that experience I decided it would probably be a good idea to invest in some padded shorts. After checking out different website, recommendations and reviews I purchased these:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-ladies-aeron-cycling-short/
dhb Ladies Aeron Cycling Short 

Very strange looking when you get them. And they are not the most comftable short for just wearing around the house.........but for cycling in, they are excellent. They protect you where you need protecting. Add to these lots of vaseline, makes for a much more pleasant cycle ride.

Along with new shorts I have another cycling jersey (I won one from Team Sky) but this one I bought. I am a founding member of CyclingBuddy.com and they were doing personalised jerseys at discounted rates, so I gave in a got one.
I must say I prefer this one to the Sky one. More comfortable material, and it has my name on :-)

I also bought some new trainers as mine were a bit old. I'm not one for spending lots of money on trainers so £20 for 2 pairs, bargain!
Also another bargain I got was for a lightweight waterproof jacket. Vince did buy my a very nice hi-viz waterproof jacket and it is brilliant! However, for the ride I need something lighter. In Aldi's they had some, for £15 but I didn't get it when I saw it. The next time I went back they were all gone, apart from one. Not in a packet and screwed up under some short. I took it out and the size was small. I looked it over and tried it on. It fitted and nothing appearred wrong with it. The advertised price was now £9.99. However I spoke to the manager and said any chance of a discount as there's no packaging/last one.......I got it for £4.99! Bargain! It is excellent as well. Considering how thin it is, it really keeps the wind out etc.
I think I'm pretty much kitted out now as far as clothing goes.

I've just upgraded my cycle insurance to cover me in the EU (an extra £5, can't grumble at that). I got my EU healthcard (didn't have one).
The checklist for the ride came through a couple of weeks ago which made it seem all too real.

Sponsorship. I'm nearly to the £1300 they set (I want to do £1500). Last check I was on £1100 something. So doing really well. There's still time to sponsor me if you haven't already. If you have already, THANK YOU!!!
http://www.justgiving.com/Louise-Brookes2012
If you'd prefer not to do it online, I can write your details on the traditional sponsor form and we can sort out payment later.
I'm having to make quite a few banffoee pies at the moment, 4 orders in the last month (1 person has had 2 now). The profits of that are going to the charity.

So, that's the latest.

I would say I'll try and blog more often but I can't promise how often ;-)

Will definitly try and update (short and breif ones) when I'm actually on the ride.

Thanks for reading :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment